Sunday, September 7, 2008

Surreal

As I was driving down the rode in the midst of a foggy cold and dark-night the unsuspected was surreal. The fog was as dense as the dust from a gravel rode. It was just enough of a chill outside that the car windows began to frost. The night was dark but dimly lit. The rode sloped up and down. All these things came together to cause the thing that was completely out of my hands but also the thing that was completely in Gods hands.

My self and Hayley shared the same fascination of the mysterious window frost. We began to present our thoughts of logical reasoning for the cause of the window frost. Hayley began to present her thoughts of the beginning of the mysterious window frost. I being a good listener turn to look at her while she is talking and writing on the window. Then that is when the unsuspected became surreal. “ Samuel!” yelled Hayley like a walrus. Before my foot could touch the break, and before my eyes could even focus on the white vehicle one second away from being pulverized we impaled the rear end of the vehicle. I felt like I just hit a 250-pound man in football pads. That split second of crashing into them and spinning a 180 felt like a lifetime. As I was about to hit them my mind kept saying,” No this is impossible, you are not going to hit them”. Soon after that thought I was pretty convinced that I just hit them.

Time stood still for the first time in my life. I sat in my seat in doubt that Hayley or me had survived. My first instinct was to get Hayley and my self out of the smoky vehicle. As we exited the vehicle all was well except for our nerves. I will never look at a vehicle the same. I am deeply afraid of entering a vehicle and gripping the wheel. I am going to get back on the horse someday but I got bucked pretty hard and I will take my time getting back on the horse.

Its moments like those that cause me to think of those I care the most about. Its moments like those that I cannot stop saying thank you. The Lord only gives out what we can handle so I thank him so much for not letting anyone get hurt. Also I thank Him for not taking a life. I don’t know exactly how I would of recovered if someone I cared about lost his or her life that night. I love life more than ever because of that experience. Most importantly, I love the Lord more than I ever could of imagined.

The Lord has a perfect rode of trials for my life and I praise Him for that.